Saturday, March 15, 2008

Tool House....Project by Vulcan

This is a small project I have been working on for my rural station module. This segment does not include a complete "how-to" but rather covers parts of the build not covered elsewhere. Officially, according to Southern Railway's Standard Plans it is called a TOOL HOUSE. Most would recognize it as a speeder/ handcar shed.



This is the completed, or at least 90% completed shed. The exterior sheathing is Evergreen Models styrene, # 4101 Clapboard.


This view shows the roof. I made the diagonal shingles by using a pair of Pinking shears to cut strips from cardstock. The shingle strips were then added using 3M spray adhesive. Once the strips were added I sprayed the roof with more of the spray adhesive to add some texture to the roof. Once that dried it was sprayed a flat black. Then weathered by dry-brushing with white acrylic paint.


The window is from Grant Line Products. I wanted an open window so I cut the mullions from the lower part and built a frame around the removed mullions using .030 x .030 Evergreen Models styrene strips. Then glazed the upper and lower section with .015 clear styrene.


And since it does house a handcar, here is a shot of the handcar. For the interior of the shed walls I used Evergreen Models styrene, # 4083 Novelty siding.


For the details on how I painted and weathered the shed, please go to the January folder and see the "How to achieve that rustic look" post. The foot print of this neat little shed is 2 1/2 x 3 9/16, not including runway section. The runway is built using HO gauge rail, set to O gauge, five foot. The wood planking is a product made by Forster called "Skinny Sticks". Similar to coffee stirrers but much more uniform.

Hope you enjoyed.

6 comments:

dgauss said...

Your stuff continues to amaze me. It's simple, yet very usefuk. Who'd a thunk there is a reasonfor a man to own a pair of "pinking scissors". I'm going to the fabric store without my wife! Seriously a fine addition to your layout. Dave

Vulcan said...

Thanks, Dave. Actually the Pinking shears were my wife's. Just don't tell her I borrowed them for a while.

Ray said...

well done Vulcan
top shelf!

DennisB said...

Excellent work, Vulcan. Actually, I've been impressed by the quality of work by all of our bloggers.

Vulcan said...

Thanks, all and Dennis, I should thank you for the idea. You offered it when I was looking for ideas for the other side of the station. I liked it and saved for this side.

de8l8 said...

All the builds are great here.The tool house will fit right in on my HO layout.