Monday, January 21, 2008

O Scale Mail Crane: Project by Vulcan

In late 2007 I began building a 40" x 18" O gauge display module. This project, the mail crane, is one of many smaller projects that make up the module. First the drawings and photos of the prototype.


The completed mail crane.
The crane is made using Evergreen Models Styrene tubing. The "ties" the crane is sitting on are 1/2 wood dowels.



This next shot shows the base, on the left, made from .030 styrene tubing glued inside a piece of .090 tubing and cut to a scale 3' length. The joint was covered with Testor's Contour putty and sanded to shape.
The largest piece of piping on the crane is made from .o65 tubing, as is the arms. The small vertical pipe is made from .035 tubing.
The footing, on the right, is made from one section of 1/2" styrene tile from Evergreen Models. The nut/ bolt casting's are from Grant Line Products and are actually large HO castings.


I have assembled the individual components. I add a .035 diagonal brace to the upper arm of the crane by crimping the ends of the tubing with a pair of needle nose pliers and bending to fit.
The mail bag was made using tissue paper coated with Mod Podge, a glue/sealer found at most craft stores, and built up in layers. A piece of string was tied around the middle to simulate a belt.
Here is a sketch I did highlighting some of the dimensions in O scale.


All in all, this was a quick, fun and relatively inexpensive project. Hope you enjoyed!

3 comments:

bfishma said...

A+ work vulcan! this is one of those things every layout needs, but no one ever thinks of including it. thanks for posting!

Gizzmo said...

"First the drawings and photos of the prototype."
Vulcan could you elaborate on how to find draftings like this? I'm not very good at finding info of this sort. It look like a nice addition to any layout.Thanks

Vulcan said...

Gizzmo, that drawing was from a magazine. Modelrailroader, I believe. When I see something I may want to model in the future, I photocopy and file away. I copied that years ago. Sometimes I may find things on the web, which I save on the hard drive. Sorry, I can't give any more guidance than that. Sometimes it's pure luck.