Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Weathering Track

Here is the answer to the long asked question as to how I weather my track.

I weather my track with Poly Scale paint and it is in their Military color line. It only comes in the 1/2oz. bottles and is called Imperial Japanese Army
Brown (FS 30108)505276)



























I airbrush the rails sides with it and then wipe the rail head before the paint dries. I use a piece of cardboard behind each rail as I am spraying the rails sides. I also airbrush the ties with RR tie brown also made by Poly Scale. Once the paint has dried. I go back and give a wash with watered down grimy black here & there to vary the color a bit. I also use Bragdon's weathering powders and use a dark gray or black and dust the ties in the center between the rails to give a grungy/ dirty look to some areas. Here is the finished look. Thanks for looking!











4 comments:

bfishma said...

great post al. i am always one of those guys asking: "how the heck did he do that!" and now i know.

dgauss said...

Al, what brand of ballast? your layout and roster looks great! Dave G.

Vulcan said...

Very well done, Al!

CSX Al said...

Thanks guys. Dave, That section of track I used a mix of roofing granules from White(gray in color) to black and then glued it down with some brown paint added to the glue mix.