Friday, January 11, 2019

The Diner Story

Back in late 2013 I was looking for something to do, I get restless when I'm not modeling. I had an old K-Line diner packed among the storage items. So I came up with this. Eventually.





But first the story behind the Diner that came long before my version. It started out as a 

Marx Trains accessory.







Marx Trains went out of business in 1974. Much of the Marx tooling was bought by K-Line Electric trains soon after. In the mid 1980's K-Line made some minor changes to the tooling and started producing this:









In the early 2000's the Diner again went through some modifications, producing this:



And that's where I come in. The main modification I did to the original shell was to add to the height of the doors. They were only six feet, it probably didn't matter, but I couldn't get past it. This meant removing the section of the molded-in base below the door openings and building new doors. 





I then tore out the interior that was in the Diner and added my own interior walls.






And then it was on to scratch-building the interior details from many different materials.







Including the jukebox.





And, of course, that led to this.







No comments: